Friday, February 5, 2010

Radiology as a med student: Not always fun

Radiology is great and is still on top of my list for what I want to be when I grow up. However, as a med student, it can be pretty boring. Last week I spent some time in the neuroradiology department. My two favorite fields, neuro and radiology, combined. Yet, my 2 1/2 days with them were pretty dull. The problem is that to enjoy radiology, you have to look at and interpret images on your own. Shadowing a radiologist doesn't really make much sense. Basically, you end up looking over someone's shoulder as they quickly scroll through scans and talk to themselves (into their dictation programs). There is very little opportunity to figure things out for yourself. Luckily, during neurology and my other rotations, I've gotten plenty of chances to go through images on my own. So, this post isn't about how I stopped wanting to be a radiologist. I'm just venting about my disappointment about the neurorad week.

No comments:

Post a Comment