Thursday, March 11, 2010

Jenny McCarthy as my pediatrician?

As I expected, in pediatrics I'd run into some anti-vaccine parents. They were beyond convincing (and perhaps not coincidentally, many of them were chiropractors). However, the other day we saw a patient bring her child for her two-month check-up, when the first shots are given. The mom brought up her concern about vaccines causing autism. The pediatrician said that there isn't any evidence that it's the case. Grandma then walked into the room and said, "oh yeah, I heard that the original study that showed a connection between vaccines and autism was a fraud." (yay! word is going around). The pediatrician then said, "Whenever you hear things like that you should ask yourself, if my child had an ear infection, would I ask Jenny McCarthy for advice or would I go to my pediatrician?" The mom and grandma laughed and said, "pediatrician." The baby got her vaccines and the story had a happy ending... but as I was leaving the room I thought, even though it sounds like a silly question, a lot of parents wouldn't think it's such a funny question. There are plenty of people who would be happy to take the advice of celebrities (and quacks) on their kids' health (not just vaccines) over their pediatrician's.

1 comment:

  1. Did you see the courts are starting to call bullshit on all this, too?

    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/13/science/13vaccine.html?hp

    ReplyDelete