Sunday, July 3, 2011

Slow Start

So, I'm officially a doctor. July 1st was supposed to be a mind-numbing experience where I get thrown into the medical system, overwhelmed with things to do and actually get to feel like I'm making a difference in people's lives. Unfortunately, I feel like I've gone back a few years. I start with a primary care rotation. Primary care is not my thing, but I can appreciate the value of health maintenance and getting to know patients and I was looking forward to actually acting like a primary care doctor. To my surprise, I find out that all I do is shadow a physician while he sees his patients. It's worse than 3rd year. At least then I got to see patients beforehand. The clinic I'm at doesn't have electronic records, so I can't even read about the patients. I go in not knowing what's going on and about 30 seconds later come out not knowing what happened. The physician knows his patients and doesn't really need to go into the details that I would have needed in order to diagnose and treat (actually, I'm a little wary of how quickly he goes through patients). It's a complete waste of time. All I can say is that at least I get paid for it.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats. :) It will get better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got paid for it before...

    But seriously, that sounds like it totally blows. I hope for your sake it turns around soon. If they're going to call you doctor, they might as well treat you like one, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really isn't turning around, but another thing that it has going for it is that the hours are awesome. I "work" about 5 hours a day.

    ReplyDelete