Sunday, May 2, 2010

How to lose innovation in your state

University of Virginia and Virginia Commonwealth University are two other places I am looking into for residency. But, I'm hesitating now because there seems to be a witch-hunt against scientists. The attorney general of Virginia is a grade-A nut who is wasting taxpayer money to "investigate" (i.e. go on a fishing expedition) a climate scientist to see if there was "any breach of ethics" (i.e. can we find anything that makes scientists look bad so I could say my twisted version of reality is right). Besides being completely unethical on the attorney general's part (is he really working for Virginians?), this is a great way to lose scientists in your state. For example, if I go into fetal imaging - something that I really am interested in - I may find something that would not fit with the attorney general's ideas about when life begins, and as a result I risk getting "investigated." You lose scientists, you lose scientific discoveries. You lose scientific discoveries, you lose new and exciting companies. You lose that and you've lost jobs, greater tax income, and a better future for the citizens of your state. But who needs all that, it snowed 60 inches in Virginia last winter, so clearly global warming is a fraud.

4 comments:

  1. Isn't that also the state that is finding a way to sue the government for health care and whose governor essentially removed protections for homosexuals in hiring practices while also simultaneously instituting a literacy requirement for ex-convicts to regain their voting privileges? I don't think Virginia is a warm fuzzy place for you (other than to be close to family, I suppose...). Perhaps close by in Washington, D.c.? Anything at Georgetown or George Washington?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the same person... he also covered up the bare breast that appears on Virginia's state seal. There are some DC programs as well, but I'm not sure I'm in a position to be super picky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My ass you can't be picky. I'd be unbelievably surprised if with your academic and publication record you didn't have people eating out of your hands begging you to make their institution a better place. Or, you know, offering you an interview.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eh, my academic record is not the greatest. Besides, UVA has a pretty good program and is close to home, the DC programs are not the greatest.

    ReplyDelete